Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Ambassador


"My innermost dream? I have two. I would like to be the receptionist here at Ginninderry.
I like being at the desk and answering the phone. My favourite part of the job is making new friends. Everyone calls me the Ginninderry’s ambassador and this is who I would love to be. I want to be this ambassador, the first face greeting the people that come in. I want to be an ambassador for Daana, too. I like talking to people. You know, if I ever had my own star, like the celebrities on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, I would like my star to say this: my name and “great ambassador”.
Peter’s smile is warm and genuine. He is one of the first persons to greet you at The Link building and if he sees you coming, he welcomes you by opening the door for you.
I have met him before on numerous occasions and I love his friendliness and his passion for true customer service.
On one of our conversations, he candidly told me he is working three jobs. I knew I had to invite him to wear the hat and tell me more about himself.

- “When I was a young child, I loved learning how to speak properly. I wanted to be like my big brother, Ian. He was the first person to nurse me when I was a baby. I loved that he looked after me. Nowadays, both my brothers are my role models.
My younger brother, John, lives in Los Angeles at the moment but I went to visit him with my parents last year.

When I was younger, I wanted to be like James Bond.  
I am also a big NCIS fan, I have been watching all the series. It’s my favourite TV show.
Coming out of high school, I went for work experience as a kitchen hand at ANU at a small cafĂ© near the Law school and also at Sullivans. I have also worked at MacDonald’s. Later I got a scholarship and studied for a hospitality certificate.

Now, I have three jobs. I work as an office assistant for the ACT Down Syndrome, I am a support officer at Ginninderry and I also work at Daana, and Indian restaurant. I have been working with them for two years now.

My innermost dream? I have two. I would like to be the receptionist here at Ginninderry.
I like being at the desk and answering the phone. My favourite part of the job is making new friends.
Everyone calls me the Ginninderry’s ambassador and this is who I would love to be. I want to be this ambassador, the first face greeting the people that come in. I want to be an ambassador for Daana, too. I like talking to people. You know, if I ever had my own star, like the celebrities on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, I would like my star to say this: my name and “great ambassador”.

My work buddies are David and Ashleigh. David is a great boss, he even takes me to have lunch with his family.
Ashleigh and I are always planning the treats for our co-workers’ birthdays. We go to the cake shop, we get little decorations and we prepare a nice celebration.

In five years’ time, I would like to be the next “Batchelor”. 
I would really like to meet a special girl.

If I had 15 minutes of fame, I would like people to know me better. I would like them to know that I am a good person and I would like them to look differently at people with Down Syndrome.

I only have one regret: that I never learned how to mow grass. But maybe one day I will learn.

I feel at peace at my parents’ place or at my brothers’ place. 
I love spending time with them. I did a cooking course and I love cooking with my mother on Saturdays. I can make a very good butter chicken. Sometimes, I cook with my father too; we usually chose to make bangers and mash, or pizza.

My favourite thing is playing basketball. I also play tennis; I really want the Government to open the Mpowerdome because it’s easier for me to get there.
Sometimes, I play video games too - it’s an easy way to relax, especially if I am upset”.



No comments:

Post a Comment